Suggestions on how invigorate the server!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Suggestions on how invigorate the server!

Post  Karashka on Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:45 am

A few of us have noted that the amount of people logging in recently has declined. We've gone from having roughly 15-20 people online at any given time (the lowest i previously saw was about 7-10) to having 5 people online in peak hours. This could be due to a number of reasons:

1) Not enough publicity for the server - Are people "bumping" the thread on the official Minecraft forum? The link is here: Our Minecraft Server Forum! - Try to make sure it's always on the first page, so people can see what it is, and what we're about!

2) New people are leaving quite fast. Is this due to the "World" (Admittedly I don't like the current world, it's too water based) - This might also be because there is no town "close" to the spawn point. We decided against it this time, due to griefers and the likes, however, this has a knock-on effect, that new people don't know where to go, or what to do.

3) The lag on the server can be bad at the moment, but I don't see it as a reason to stop playing myself. Do people want Monsters/animals on, or are they content to have it "Peaceful" - You regenerate passively, but will still be killed by anyone with a brain/sword.

~~~~The Solutions!~~~~

I have not spoke to Vlad or Girchu about this, and what i'm saying holds no merit whatsoever. These are my musings, with suggestions taken from other peoples thoughts/idea's!

1) I think there needs to be an extra "OP" or two for the times when Vlad + Girchu aren't online. This would help alleviate the time I spend banning/kicking griefers/ghosters/retards - I don't mind doing it as stated, and I dedicate a lot of time to it to keep the server running peacefully enough. This might help with the problem though, as I now resort to sleeping on ventrilo and have been woken up several times with people asking me to kick griefers.

2) Flying - I think it should be blanket disallowed for anything, including building. I use it myself, I know, and I have used it avidly since getting it, however, I think it takes "away" from the game. There's no fear of losing anything if you can just fly away from things. As of now, I have stopped using it, and am in the process of "disabling" it.

3) To go on with flying - I'll also suggest a plug-in that Friedthelt recommended to me: Faction Plugin! - I believe this would inject something back into the world. Real rivalries and things to do other than the build. It would tie in nicely to the "RPG" system, and give you a reason to level that Repair skill, or get your Sword/Axe skill up. It would give you a reason to get arrows, to become the #1 Marksman. For those that don't want to click the link - You'd have a group of players in a "guild" or "Faction" or "Clan" - Whatever terminology you prefer! This group of players would have land designated to them by "claiming it" - You would carry out your own anti-grief with this mod, as only people in your faction can build/destroy there. This would give people a reason to invite "new people" as well, because the more people you have, the larger amount of land you can claim - New people wont feel ostracized on a new server (not knowing anyone and starting afresh can be quite daunting!) because they will be wanted to help expand a factions land! This also ties in with flying because it would defeat the object of having factions/walls/land if people could just fly over obstacles to kill people. If you find an "enemy" in your town, chances are you're going to kill them as well, because you take 50% less damage when in your factions land!

4) Building a new town closer to the spawn point. This would allow people who are new to the server to have a "home" they can start building in a safe area - and then integrating themselves into the server and forge friendships/rivalries.

5) I think if we turn animals/monsters off, the problem is going to be finding the items that drop from them that are unique for needed items (Leather + String seem to be the main culprit for the most part) - My suggestion would be to have a double chest stocked with the items that would be near-on impossible to obtain in each factions "base" - This would be lockette protected by the faction "leader" to hand out to the people in his faction who so wish to have them - The chests could be restocked every week or two by an OP/admin to ensure people aren't cheating (for example making 600 bows, then begging an admin to give them more string to make something else) - Once you've used up your weekly/fortnightly supply, then..sux2beu? - This might also encourage "trading" between the factions, adding politics into the mix as well! "Sure, you want 1 string? that will be 70,000 coins please" etc.

If anyone has any idea's or wants to add to/criticize what i've said, then feel free, these are just my ideas on how we can rejuvenate this server!

Karashka

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Suggestions on how invigorate the server!

Post  arakasi on Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:13 am

Actually, even though I use flying myself as well, I agree with all points made here, and I think we should leave all animals/monsters on except at normal or slightly less than normal spawn rates (Normal is 0.5, maybe we should put it to 0.3 or something?) and one thing is that the more well known the server, the more griefers we are going to have, so we definitely need a couple more OPs at least to control such issues.
Thank goodness we have the login/password system now, so at least griefers can't log in as us anymore, but that doesn't stop them registering any new names and then proceeding to grief our server.
If we put the server into online-only mode this would stop at least 50-60% of griefers and only people who have bought the game could join (The idea is that _most_ people who have bought the game, actually want to play it properly.)
Judging from the server being in offline mode and Vlad's default skin, he probably uses the hacked version, but with server/area protect donations, surely he could spend $15 of it to protect his server from offline-mode namechanger programs?
Except for the lag, I'm generally happy with this server.

Just my 2c. Thanks for reading.
arakasi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jdm on Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:58 am

hai.

i think we need to move the spawn to somewhere near new holland (to much griefing in the area)
i also think flying should be ENABLED cause it very hard to find a nice area to build in.
i don't think factions will work out since most people have multiple residences.

and for a new admin is suggest p5king or killnox
i think the map is really nice because of the snowy areas
p.s I know grammar sucks

jdm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Karashka on Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:58 am

jdm wrote:hai.

i think we need to move the spawn to somewhere near new holland (to much griefing in the area)
i also think flying should be ENABLED cause it very hard to find a nice area to build in.
i don't think factions will work out since most people have multiple residences.

and for a new admin is suggest p5king or killnox
i think the map is really nice because of the snowy areas
p.s I know grammar sucks

Flying isn't something you enable/disable, it's something you install (the user, not the server admin). I don't know how you can say its a really nice map while a few lines up saying its difficult to find somewhere to live. A nice map should be one in which you can easily navigate the land, and not be hindered by copious amounts of water, however, that's just my opinion Razz

Multiple residences doesn't really coincide with factions. Factions won't attack residences, but each other. If your neutral a faction can't attack you (it's in the link I posted)

As for admins, there is not "vote" - people would just vote for their friends in game. IF, and only IF Girchu and Vlad decide they need more, in my opinion, it needs to be designated to somebody who is online a lot on the server, who can cover when Vlad + Girchu are not around

Karashka

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Boucht on Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:29 am

I totally agree with new town and the new plugin...

It would be great to welcome our new visitors and players
I think then we could have more ppl here =)

Boucht aka Ezio What a Face
Boucht

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Anti Grief

Post  Girchu on Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:30 am

I think we should protect one area for people free of charge, than you can charge them for the second one or something, or if they want control of a whole town?

Girchu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkVivi on Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:16 am

Man, I'm so up for a factions thing. I love killing as it is, now I can kill with REASON! Yea, we should get rid of flying. I agree with those i've killed, it is kinda cheap to fly up, wait for them to spawn, fly down, kill them, and fly up again. I'm not saying i'm gonna stop using fly right now, but i'm gonna use it for faster walking atleast. Stupid long tunnels.
Also yea, we need another Op. It's always when Vlad or Girchu is offline that people decide to start griefing. We need atleast an op thats on like 12 hours or something..

If this does go through, I'm assuming we're gonna make a new world though, right?

DarkVivi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  P5King on Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:27 am

Yeah these are all great ideas like...
1. Some extra ops would be nice for those pesky griefers
2. flying is too overused
3. Factions would be amazing i could be a warrior !Very Happy
4. i do always see people asking for town and that gets annoying at times
5.Finally we really don't need animals or mobs IMO they are quite annoying too
Vlad you really should consider this!

P5King

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Friedthelt on Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:08 pm

i'd like this solution. would be great! Smile

Friedthelt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LanceofLegends on Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:50 pm

If you remove monsters and or creatures from the game, your simply taking away from it. When players don't have to worry about buttsechs creepers, or evil zelda chickens, or hunt down random squid, all that's left is players. While players are dangerous, they are also a predictable danger. If you in a hidden bunker underground, its a slim chance ones gonna come from an unknown directions like throu the wall, as with a sky base, youll see them coming up. Monsters pop up anywhere, creepers, skellies, zombies all add that element, of ".... oh shit!" -boom- "...ahhh!" -thunk thunk thunk- -moan- "ah hell where is he...". Something that players just cant add. Animals also add the the atmosphere.
If you do remove monsters, allowing players or factions to buy a dungeon with the built in currency would be beneficial. AKA the quest and shop money.
This could be as simple as a mod made cave or labyrinth with working spawners. To a cave dug out by players as a set area requested for mob spawns restricted to that area. Could even limit or control the types of monsters based on the amount paid. Even with monsters turned on, this could be instituted as a guaranteed fight area for pve.

Placing programs in place to prevent and stop all flying and Xraying players would also greatly add to the game, even after the faction update, I've seen fliers (no i don't have screens and I don't think they were an admin.)

Last thing I can think of is a spawn tutorial room or tunnel. Basically something for those who like to research what a server has in it right away to see if they wanna stay. If they don't wanna read it their free to go, but it will be there if they change there mind. This would aid new and old players or at least could, with information, commands ect. Could be updated every server update so it could be a reference for players.

Just my thoughts, Lance

LanceofLegends

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top